Our history

Traditional Custodians

Perisher and Jindabyne are located within the traditional lands of the Ngarigo people. For thousands of years, the area was also visited by many other tribes who travelled vast distances to feast on Bogong moths, trade, and hold important ceremonies.

Club history

  • 1934

    The Canberra Alpine Club was formed on 31 July at the Alpine Hotel, Kiandra. The motion was proposed by Tim Ingram and Tom Campbell at a meeting chaired by H.J. Lamble, the Director of the NSW Government Tourist Bureau.
    The inaugural general meeting was subsequently held at the Hotel Canberra on 11 October.

  • 1938

    The Mount Franklin chalet with bunk accommodation for 32 people was constructed on leased land.

  • 1955

    The club was incorporated on 29 June.

  • 1961

    The Perisher lodge was constructed by club labour on land leased from the State of NSW.

  • 1968

    The original Jindabyne lodge was constructed on leased land, adjacent to Lake Jindabyne.

  • 1983

    The Perisher original ‘A’ frame lodge was substantially upgraded.

  • 1984

    The Mount Franklin chalet reverted to the Government when Namadgi National Park was created.

  • 1992

    Freehold title of the Jindabyne lodge was acquired.

  • 1999

    The Perisher bedroom wing was added along with accessible facilities and is now licensed to accommodate 46 people.

  • 2003

    The Mount Franklin chalet was destroyed by the January bushfires. The precinct is now the subject of a memorandum of understanding with the ACT Parks and Conservation Service.

  • 2008

    A new lease was executed for the Perisher lodge. This lease runs until December 2028 with three 10-year options exercisable.

  • 2014

    The original Jindabyne lodge was demolished, and a new lodge built.

Click on any of the images to the left to view the enlarged gallery mode.